Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Off in Hong Kong

The first night, we straggled out of the hotel in desperate search to stay awake and feed our bellies. David led the pack with map in hand until we found some seemingly authentic Chinese restaurant. Equip with a big round table and a lazy-Susan, we parked ourselves for a delicious meal of abalogne, duck (with the option to eat the head - only Ray went for it), two different kinds of dumplings, and black bean pancake for dessert. One might think that after all that flying we'd all turn in. But then in walked Paul's friends who live in Hong Kong. Naturally, a few of us opted to stay out and see the HK Saturday Nightlife. First of all - you can drink on the streets. Off to one of the MANY 7 Elevens to take care of that. The streets were bustling with the very well dressed Chinese groups of girlfriends to the falling off their arses British expats. We settled on a bar several stories above the streets for a bit - long enough for me to order a Spicy Mule - the spiciest drink I've ever attempted to consume in my life.

Yesterday was our full day off. Breakfast... compliments of the hotel. Incredible! Dim Sum station, omlette bar, fresh fruit, different yogurts, salads, cereals of all kinds, what a spread. I'm about to enjoy another morning of it. Full enough to get through the day until dinner. I somehow took the lead of the day's social events which, I learned, I shall never do again. I was ready to go after breakfast, stir crazy, looking longingly at the buildings outside the lobby windows. But not all were so eager. A long two hours later, we finally left the hotel and took the Ferry over to Kowloon. We spent a good two hours exploring Kowloon Park which is supposed to be their Central Park. While fun, not impressed - I'm spoiled by New York. We ended up at Jade Market. WOW! Dozens of little stations selling all kinds of jewelry and knick knacks. My favorite being the Mao Tse-Tung pocket watch. You can bargain anything by just saying "No thank you." Following that, we walked down a busy outdoor market. Everything was out on the street, in the open air, ready for you to buy... dragon fruit, snake skin, lizard on a stick, bags of dried fish, all kinds of freshly cut meats hanging from big hooks - including a WHOLE pig.

The men went back to the hotel because they were "tired." But Lily and I forged on. We went to Man Mo Temple where the tourists were far outnumbered by the locals who were paying homage to several deities. They did so with bundles of lit incense and colorful papers with sayings of gratitude on them that would then be ceremoniously thrown on the pyre. I asked many of the people who worked there to explain what everyone was doing. They told me that it was the last Sunday before the new year and everyone is there to give thanks for all that they have been given. I said "why all the incense?" (my eyes were BURNING as I walked through the scented haze). To which a man replied "Why? Its Chinese Tradition!" in the tone of "silly girl." Then I decided to get my fortune read. oops. "2009 - Not so good for you. Troublesome year. 2010 - very good. You wait."

On that note - back to the hotel. Drinks with more local friends of the band and on to dinner. They took us all out for a Chinese meal in a part of town I'll never be able to pronounce. SO MUCH FOOD. It just kept coming. But truthfully, the best part of the night was after the delicious meal. Daveena took us to all get reflexology massages. All 12 of us filed into a large room, changed into scrub-like shorts, and promptly fell asleep as soon as the lights were dimmed and the massages started. David and Paul were even caught snoring. The obvious joke: "strange overtones." After that, I was like a horse with blinders on - must. find. bed.

We have a big day ahead of us. A several hour rehearsal, please God, let me remember everything! A short break, sound check, dinner, SHOW! First show of the second leg. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Natalieeeee, It's Selina. Hi.

    I have things to tell you about Australia, i.e. where to go for good food, drinks, entertainment etc. When will you be there?
    Is email good?

    PS I am incredibly, incredibly jealous that you're going there, I miss it everyday. Don't get too attached, Oz will break your heart.

    ReplyDelete